22 April 2010

Spring Break, Part V

So. Christchurch. The final stop on our epic journey before our return to Picton and our subsequent ferry ride to Wellington. The last place we slept on the south island. The site of all of my remaining pictures. I warn you, though, they're more arty than touristy.

First, to get this out of the way: I saw a kiwi! The aquarium had a "kiwi house" attached, and I got to watch a kiwi poking about in the dark. No photos, though - they're sensitive little creatures and don't like the sound or the light. Sorry!

And now, the aquarium.










There was one flounder that refused to camp out on the bottom and just swam all over the tank, because it could. Seriously.


Cute little guy, though.


There were seahorses! They were surprisingly photogenic.






After the aquarium, I walked down to the botanic gardens and the Canterbury Museum, which is the site of Alan Curnow's moa skeleton, a really fabulous Antarctica exhibit, and the biggest quartz crystals I've ever seen.


















The front crystal is wider than my handspan, which is C4 to F5 on a standard piano.

Aaaaaaaaand I'm finally done posting pictures from my trip, since I didn't take any on the ferry! Hooray!

Apologies for the posting overload - I probably won't put up anything for a week or so now, as I haven't taken any pictures in the last several days and I have another GEOL 202 field trip this weekend. Should be interesting, at the very least.

Kia ora!

- Becky

2 comments:

  1. There's a green, leafy plant there that looks like a spiral staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. No idea what it actually is, though - sorry! (There was no sign.)

    ReplyDelete